Young Preachers Festival
The Young Preachers Festival is part of a movement to raise up the next generation of young preachers for The United Methodist Church. The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection is honored to host this event in partnership with the General Board of Higher Education Ministry (GBHEM). Our goal is to support you in your call to ministry by providing opportunities for you to develop your preaching gifts and guidance so you can reach your full potential in proclaiming the gospel and making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
Who Should Attend?
The Festival is aimed at young adults ages 18 – 34 who are:
- Graduating high school seniors
- Undergraduate and graduate students
- Seminary students
- Youth pastors
- Declared candidates for ministry
- Young clergy
- Young adults ages 18 – 34 seeking to discover more about this amazing call to ordained ministry or looking to develop more fully as a preacher
Why Should I Come?
This event is designed specifically to help you:
- Discern your calling
- Gain practical, applicable skills in sermon planning and preaching techniques
- Develop your preaching gifts
- Make connections with other future leaders of the church
- By providing support in your call to ministry
What Will I Do?
- Learn about the craft of preaching, sermon preparation & preaching skills
- Participate in inspiring worship and hear some of our denominational leaders preach
- Receive feedback on a sermon you have prepared
- Meet and have fellowship with other young church leaders
- Opportunity to connect with our featured speakers
- Interact with sponsor representatives from United Methodist seminaries
Meet & Greet with the Bishops
The 2018 Festival will be held concurrently with the South Central Jurisdiction Bishops’ Week. The 11 active Bishops from the South Central Jurisdiction will meet and share with Festival participants:
- The Bishops open the Festival with a session on “Excellence in Wesleyan Preaching for the 21st Century”
- Enjoy lunch with one of the Bishops in a small classroom setting
- Reverse Happy Hour – enjoy a time of fellowship and dessert with the Bishops at the end of the day
The Bishops look forward to this unique opportunity to connect with you, the future leaders of the denomination!
Read about how the Festival impacted ministry at one church:
“We brought a big team to the Young Preachers Festival: lead pastor, children’s minister, youth minister, two pastoral interns, and a college leader who was volunteering in our youth ministry. I’m grateful that the reasonable cost makes it possible to bring a bigger team. Each of us came home energized for ministry, and with new skills that we could apply to our areas.
“When we got back, we started a preaching feedback team – every Wednesday, whoever was preaching that week would give their sermon to the rest of the team (who had all been at the festival) for critique. That idea alone had a huge impact on the quality of sermons at our church.
“However, the coolest part of the Young Preachers Festival came a few weeks afterwards when one of our Pastoral Interns had the opportunity to preach at our church. He had never given a sermon before, but stood up and gave one of the best sermons I’ve ever heard (I still wish I could preach that well). People still talk about it – and it seemed to be one of the confirming moments in this young man’s call to ministry. I’m grateful for the role the Young Preachers Festival had in training all of us, and making that moment possible!”Bill G.
June 27, 2018
10:00 - 11:00 am
Guest Check In
10:15 am - 11:00 am
11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Greeting and Opening Session with the South Central Jurisdiction Bishops
12:00 - 1:00 pm
Lunch with Bishops
1:00 - 2:30 pm
2:30 - 3:00 pm
3:00 - 4:30 pm
4:30 - 4:45 pm
4:45 - 6:15 pm
6:15 - 7:15 pm
7:15 - 9:00 pm
Fellowship with the Bishops
June 28, 2018
9:00 - 10:30 am
10:30 - 11:00 am
11:00 - 12:30 pm
12:30 - 1:15 pm
1:15 - 2:20 pm
2:20 - 2:35 pm
2:35 - 3:40 pm
3:40 - 3:55 pm
3:55 - 5:00 pm