July 21-22, 2016
The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection
Young Preachers Festival
The Young Preachers Festival is part of a movement to raise up the next generation of young preachers for The United Methodist Church. The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection is honored to host this second annual event in partnership with the General Board of Higher Education Ministry (GBHEM).
Who Should Attend?
- High school upperclassmen
- College/seminary students
- Youth pastors
- Declared candidates for ministry
- Young clergy
- Young adults seeking to discover more about this amazing call to ordained ministry or looking to develop more fully as a preacher
What Will I Do?
- Connect with peers and learn through workshops led by denominational leaders in preaching
- Participate in inspiring worship and sermons from powerful speakers
- Receive feedback on a sermon you have prepared
- Connect with our keynote and workshop leaders
- Interact with representatives from our Sponsors
Why Should I Come?
This event is designed specifically to help you:
- Discern your calling
- Learn from and network with preaching leaders from across our denomination
- Develop your preaching gifts
- Make connections with other future leaders of the church
- Inspire you in your call to ministry
Here is what a few Young Preachers told us about their experience at The Young Preachers Festival and Conference 2015:
- All young preachers need this kind of affirmation and guidance.
- I feel like I came away from the weekend with a seminary semester’s worth of knowledge.
- YPF gives you the chance to make connections with people you might not otherwise meet and begin to build friendships and dream about what the future of the church might hold.
- This is a must for folks who want to improve at their craft.
- Read Full Testimonial from 2015 attendee, Kyle Reynolds.
Conference Day 1
Thursday, July 21
|11:00 - 1:00pm||Registration and Check In|
|11:30 - 1:00 pm||Building Tours will leave every 15 minutes starting at 11:30am will last approximately 45 minutes|
|11:00 -12:45 pm||Lunch (provided)|
|1:00 pm||Opening Worship and Featured Session 1 with Rev. Dr. Alyce McKenzie|
|3:00 pm||Featured Session 2 with Rev. Olu Brown|
|6:00 pm||Dinner (provided)|
|7:00 pm||Sermon Slam - An interactive, extemporaneous sermon experience|
|7:15 pm||Featured Session 3 with Rev. Adam Hamilton|
Conference Day 2
Friday, July 22
|8:30 am||Morning Worship and Featured Session 4 with Rev. Matt Miofsky|
|10:30 am||Workshops 2|
|11:45 am||Closing Worship led by Bishop Scott Jones|
|12:45 pm||Lunch (provided)|
|12:45 - 1:45pm|| Preacher Check In for Feedback Sessions|
|1:15 - 1:45pm|| Evaluator Meeting|
|2:00 pm||Preaching Feedback Sessions|
|3:05 pm||Bottled Water Break|
|3:20 pm||Preaching Feedback Sessions|
|4:45 pm||Preaching Feedback Sessions|
Q &A with Pastor Scott Chrostek and Behind the Scenes Technical Run Through Prior to Worship
Location: Sanctuary Time: 3-5pm
Stay over and enjoy worship Saturday and Sunday at one of our 4 locations. On Saturday at 3 pm join Pastor Scott Chrostek, Campus Pastor of Resurrection Downtown and author of The Misfit Mission at our Leawood Campus for an informal Q & A session prior to the 5 pm worship service. He will share his preaching plans for the weekend, his preparation process, and answer your questions. At 4 pm, you will get a behind the scenes look at pre-worship technical rehearsal, and worship at 5 pm with Pastor Scott preaching live in the Leawood Sanctuary.
Open to all participants. Pre-Registration is required.
Add a Preaching Feedback Session to your registration for $20
The Young Preacher Festival and Conference is not only about giving you the opportunity to experience powerful preaching in the keynotes and great workshops, but it is also to help support and inspire you in your calling. There is limited space for those who desire to come prepared to preach a sermon and receive feedback from a panel of our workshop presenters. Learn more...
The Young Preachers Festival and Conference is made possible through the generosity and support of our sponsors. Please take time to learn more about these organizations by visiting their website.